Saturday, June 6, 2009

LEFT IN LURCH

It was midnight when I woke up screaming, howling and my hand pouncing like a tiger to grab someone beside my bed…my eyes still closed. Suddenly I felt something wet over my cheeks sliding gradually towards gravity. Lately I realized I was weeping in the middle of my dream or you rather call it a nightmare, someone was chasing me with gun on continuous fire as not to miss even a single chance to shoot me down. Sweating hardly, so went to refrigerator to have a gulp of chilled water, which could relax my esophagus, stomach and then half of my body, came to normal temperature. It wasn’t so uncommon, I always had such dreams, and particularly this dream was repeated. But then there was something unique about it.

I went to my balcony…….there I saw a young couple in the straight row in the apartment just next to mine, lying on each others arm, wearing night gowns sitting in the moonlight. They seemed to be from a well-to-do family. The big black glass window decorated with the garland of red and white roses in alternate on their borders. Every window and door was decorated with this. One big curtain was hanging from the cloud ….as it seemed to me in that full moonlight, was actually in good height, and was hanging from the side of the moon covering the semi-circle. The curtain was all of thick fabric except for that round double the radius of the moon was just net, as to allow the light to pass through. In front of the chairs where couple was sitting there was a table upon which a chocolate cake was there, that left me drooling, just beside it was a big turkey, which rolled back my drooled saliva way back to salivary gland, as am a veggie. I was trying to see the face of that duo, but they were oppositely faced. I could only see the blond, straight, long hair of the lady which was lying in the arms of her man who was wearing a small round hat. They were so cozily fit in each others arm that they didn’t moved from the moment I saw them. It seemed as if all what they needed to communicate with each other was their eyes. The whole scenario was like a wet painting which was spreading the fragrance of juvenile, true, pure love. It was all so very pacifying to eyes and heart. That was one moment when I thought how blissful love is, and closed my eyes and prayed to the superpower to send me the man of my life who could love me as much as this man can do to his lady love. That half feeling of undefined love in my life was just passing the arteries and veins of my heart, upbeat my heart beat……..then suddenly a girl in her teens entered the backyard saw them and slightly wept covering her mouth and holding her voice and softly went inside. I was in a bit confusion of feelings of what to feel…. I wanted to know about what happened so took a shawl and went to their flat. As soon as I ringed the belled I found door was already open. I slowly opened the door, and to my surprise found herd of men and women, 1/3rd talking to each other, and another 3/4th just sitting quietly. A flash of bad thought rushed my mind but my heart was not ready to ask anyone. I went inside to see that young girl. When I reached the end of that big hall there was one curve to backyard where that young girl was sitting on ground and crying. I held her and I saw the face of that couple through a small vent. They weren’t as young as I thought their faces weren’t expressing any feelings. All what I saw was just so gloomy that tears gushed through my eyes, and this time am afraid I wasn’t dreaming.

The whole thing didn’t just happened but was made to happen to fulfill the last wish of that 40 plus couple. That was the way the spent their first night together and they wanted same thing with their last night.

My nightmare first converted to reality then my reality got converted to dream. But to my disappointment my dream got transformed to nightmare. I have so many hidden feelings of the moment that it’s hard to express all.



Swapna Oberoi

1 comment: